People view Valentine’s Day in many different ways. Some hate it because it’s over commercialized, others feel that you should focus on letting your loved ones know how much you love them everyday. There are those who think it sucks because they don’t have a special someone to spend it with and still there are those who love it because the idea of celebrating love is something that simply tugs at the heart. While I agree with several of these sentiments, I tend to go along with the latter. I don’t think it’s one of those game-changing, life altering things that should make or break a relationship (unless there are extreme circumstances, like maybe “they” spent V Day with someone else and you thought YOU were the only one), but I think it’s nice to have a day when you get a free pass to be overly mushy and sweet and to simply celebrate those people who you adore.
I don’t like the idea that some people feel some kind of way on this day because they feel left out, lonely or otherwise unloved. So here are 5 reasons that I think you should know you’re loved on Valentine’s Day and everyday.
- You love yourself: If you didn’t feel that before, you should. If you don’t love yourself, you might have a hard time finding someone else who loves you the way you want to be loved. You should think that you’re a rock star and thus, you should feel pretty darn great about yourself, no matter what.
- Your family thinks you kind of rock: Yeah, so maybe this isn’t romantic, but it is pure love. Isn’t that what matters most anyway? If you have children, they think you’re the best thing since sliced bread. Even if you don’t, your parents and grandparents (and if you’re lucky, your aunts, uncles cousins and siblings) most likely think that you’re amazeballs. You’re loved.
- Your friends have your back: They’re pretty awesome people who enjoy your company and they chose you not because they had to, because they wanted to. That implies that you’re pretty darn cool, or at least they think so.
- There’s a special person out there for you who has no problem letting you know this: If you’ve already found that person then you’re probably enjoying or planning to enjoy that person’s company today. If you haven’t found them, that’s ok, see #1.
- You woke up this morning: Everyone doesn’t get to say that today. You’re still here so you still have some purpose to serve here on this earth. God loves you and His love is the ultimate love. You’re blessed.
So enjoy the day for what it’s worth. Sometimes the hustle and bustle of life can get to become so much that this day simply serves as a reminder to slow down and make a kind gesture toward the one(s) that you love!